Registration on the Courtesy Register is available to physiotherapists currently registered in another jurisdiction requiring temporary entry to Alberta for the following purposes.
- Providing professional services directly to the public:
- at a sporting event (physiotherapists traveling with a group (e.g., sports team) and providing services only to that contingent do not need to be registered)
- during a major public health event (e.g., pandemic)
- providing cross-border physiotherapy
Apply to be registered
To apply to be registered on the Courtesy Register you must submit a completed application form with the required documents.
- Application fee - $122
- Regulatory reference - at the discretion of the regulator
- Criminal record check - $29 + tax for Canadian screen
Documents you send directly to Physiotherapy Alberta:
- The checklist to ensure all required documents are submitted.
- Application. The form you submit to start the registration process. Read the instructions before completing.
- Identification. Documents to confirm your identity.
Take a few minutes to review your application and supporting documents to ensure they are complete and legible before submitting. Having to resubmit documents will substantially delay the application process.
Email your application and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Documents you arrange another party to send directly to Physiotherapy Alberta.
- Character + reputation. Regulatory History form from the jurisdiction where you are currently registered to confirm your registration status and conduct history.
- Character + reputation. Criminal Record Check from BackCheck. Physiotherapy Alberta will only accept record checks conducted by BackCheck within the last 90 days. Upon receipt of your application, Physiotherapy Alberta will send you an email with a link to BackCheck so you can request your Criminal Record Check online.
All Physiotherapy Alberta forms are in PDF format which allows you to:
Download the form.
Fill in the form electronically, except your signature. You must print the form before signing.
Save the completed form in case you need to make changes (works only if you complete the downloaded version).
What to expect after you apply
- An email in 4 business days with access to our Member Portal where you can monitor your application progress.
- An email in 4 business days with instructions for requesting a Criminal Record Check from BackCheck.
- 6 business days for staff to deal with registration documents from the time received.
- Our main way to communicate with applicants is the Member Portal. From the Member Portal you will see when each registration requirement is cleared or whether you must provide additional information.
Registration documents and emails from all applicants and member are placed in a queue and dealt with in the order received. This includes criminal record checks and resubmitted documents. We try to deal with them in 6 business days. However, processing may take longer when there is a high volume.
Applications files are typically assessed by staff, however, the Registrar may refer any matter to the Registration Committee to consider which will delay the application process.
What to expect when Physiotherapy Alberta determines your application file is complete
- Unless there are extenuating circumstances, we are able to approve your application in 1 - 2 business days once all registration requirements have been cleared/met.
- If approved, practice permit issued entitling you to practice as a physiotherapist in Alberta limited to the purpose for which you applied.
- Your name to appear on the member register enabling the public, employers, course organizers to verify your registration status.
Applications may also be deferred, refused, or conditions imposes if it is in the best interest of the public. Decisions or actions taken by Physiotherapy Alberta can be reviewed by the provincial Ombudsman in accordance with the Ombudsman Act.