Will my Practice Improvement Record be reviewed?
Yes. Each year approximately 10% of submitted forms will be reviewed by Physiotherapy Alberta to ensure compliance with the reporting criteria.
- Details of the Self-Selected Activity.
- Reflection on how participation in the Self-Selected Activity improved personal competence, and either patient care practices or physiotherapy/health-care services.
- Resources used for practice improvement (e.g., assessments, audits, references, reports, scales, articles, course notes).
If a review of your Practice Improvement Record is not satisfactory, the Registrar may direct that you undertake any of the actions in section 23 of the Physical Therapists Profession Regulation.
I plan to cancel my registration at the end of the registration year. Do I still need to complete the Self-Selected Activity?
Yes. You are expected to complete the Self-Selected Activity including the Practice Improvement Record. If you do not, when you apply later to reinstate your registration, your application will not be considered until you complete any outstanding competence program activities.
I am registered on the General Register but not working. Do I still need to complete the Self-Selected Activity?
Yes. All members on the General Register must participate in all competence program requirements whether they are practicing or not.
I would like to complete an activity not on the list provided by Physiotherapy Alberta. Is that OK?
Yes, provided the activity results in significant, meaningful and sustained improvement in your personal competence and either patient care practice or physiotherapy/health-care services.
You do not need Physiotherapy Alberta’s approval to select an activity that is not on our list of options. When you complete the Practice Improvement Record you will explain how completing the activity developed your competence and enhanced professional practice thereby meeting the criteria.
Can I use my employer’s workplace requirements for my Self-Selected Activity?
Yes. Many employers require participation in performance monitoring and/or continuing education and these activities can be used as a Self-Selected Activity if they result in significant, meaningful and sustained improvement in your personal competence and either patient care practice or physiotherapy/health-care services.
Why do I have to report on my activity? Why isn’t it enough that I just DO an activity?
The Practice Improvement Record serves two purposes:
- It encourages you to take a few moments to reflect on the new information or skills learned. Taking this time to reflect will help you better integrate what you learned into practice as well as drive learning deeper. This is the “LEARN. GROW.” of your lifelong learning.
- Physiotherapy Alberta is accountable to the government to monitor program participation. Requiring members to complete the Practice Improvement Record and then conducting an annual record review satisfies this requirement.