Self-Selected Activity: Practice Improvement Record is Now Available Online
Physiotherapy Alberta’s DO.LEARN.GROW’s Self-Selected Activity involves the following steps:
The 2018/2019 Practice Improvement Record is now available in the Member Portal. You have two options:
- Complete your Practice Improvement Record now and have it ready to submit when you apply to renew your practice permit (To start your Practice Improvement Record before renewing, go to My PIR and select 2018/2019).
- Complete it as one of the renewal steps.
Either way, you may work on your Practice Improvement Record, change and update it as necessary, anytime before you “submit” your renewal. Once your renewal is submitted the Practice Improvement Record can be viewed only.
Your completed Practice Improvement Record must:
- Be an authentic and meaningful representation of what you did to improve competence and enhance professional practice (patient care/work environment).
- Provide specific details about the activity you completed.
- Name resources/researched used to improve practice (e.g., evidence, articles, guidelines, reports, scales, audits).
- Provide a thorough description of how completing the activity impacted your personal competence and patient care/physiotherapy health system.
When you complete your Practice Improvement Record:
- Write about an activity that resulted in significant, sustained meaningful change in your personal competence and practice that you can tell a great story about (sentence form or point form acceptable).
- Use reporting as an opportunity to consolidate your thoughts and extend your learning.
- Set aside enough time to thoroughly discuss all questions posed. Our pilot test showed most physiotherapists spent at least one hour to complete their record.
- Answer all questions posed in the Practice Improvement Record providing detailed explanations on how your activity improved your competence and patient care and/or the physiotherapy health service.
- Consider using the Guiding Questions to prompt reflection.
- In your story list two or more resources to illustrate you are using current resources to make good practice decisions. Options are flexible: source + title, source + topic, title + weblink, full citation.
Not sure what activity you should to write about? Check out the list of Self-Selected Activities. Can’t find your activity on the list? You can write about another activity as long as it meets the rules.
Need to see real Practice Improvement stories from real physiotherapists? Check out one of the eleven examples.
Questions? Comments? Advice? Participation Problems? Contact: Audrey Lowe Manager Continuing Competence Program at: 780-438-0338 or email@example.com