Click here to view the Competence Standard as a PDF.
The physiotherapist practices within her/his level of competence and actively pursues continuous lifelong learning to maintain competence in existing and emerging areas of her/his practice.
Clients can expect that the services they receive are delivered by a physiotherapist who actively maintains her/his competence in existing and emerging areas of practice.
- Maintains the competence requirements reflected in Essential Competency Profile for Physiotherapists in Canada.
- Practices within her/his level of competence, incorporating the required knowledge and skills to deliver quality client-centered care.
- Takes appropriate actions (e.g., referral to another physiotherapist or health-care provider, courses, mentorship) in situations where he/she does not have the required competence to deliver quality client-centered care.
- Complies with the appropriate Alberta regulatory requirements of continuing competence programs.
- Incorporates use of competence reflection tools, established benchmarks, Standards or other methods (where available) to assess performance, and feedback from peers, clients and others to enhance self-reflection to identify learning needs and objectives to maintain competence.
- Actively participates in self-directed life-long learning to maintain competence in existing practice areas and to acquire competence in new and emerging areas of practice.