Council is the governing body responsible for setting policy and strategic direction. Council is made up of:
- Six physiotherapists elected by other physiotherapsits.
- Two government appointed public members who provide valuable and insightful public input and perspective into Council's policy and decision-making process.
The bylaws, however, do not prescribe the geographical region, practice setting or background of elected members. It is up to regulated members, through the nomination and voting process, to determine the final composition.
Council is responsible for:
- Fulfilling our mandate to serve and protect Albertans by regulating the profession within the legal framework.
- Leading and guiding the profession through policy, standard and professional development.
- Approving standards of practice, code of ethics and practice guidelines.
- Developing a strategic plan, monitoring progress and reporting to government on its activities.
- Proposing changes to governing legislation.
- Approving the annual budget.
- Setting member fees.
- Approving marketing and public relations activities.
- Working collaboratively with the Registrar.
Council also has specific legislative duties to hear conduct and registration appeals.
Meet the elected Council members continuing to serve.